Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blog - Who is the RED BEETLE?!

This sounds like a title for a mystery novel...

Seriously though, guys, gals... Who the heck it the RED BEETLE??

Who is she?!?

This (random) mysterious new character appeared from nowhere in the pages of DC's JSA All-Stars.
I haven't been following the title (I'm more of a trade reader), but the apparition of this new character intrigued me.


I'm a Blue Beetle fan, as you could guess from either my various Beetle-related reviews or my parodies here.

So I ask you, if you followed this series, who is she? Is she related to any of the 3 Blue Beetles?
At first I thought it was Dan Garrett's niece, from the Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle series.
From what I got she already revealed her iD and is supposed to be "Sara Butters".
She seems young but not too much (~Dick Grayon's age), she jokes around and seems to be one of the good guys.
She appeared from the start as part of the extended JSA cast, nobody seems to doubt her or be surprised by her in the team. (the JSA, a Golden Age/Legacy team kind of group)

Oh and she uses "tech" to fight crime.

Like Ted's B.B.Gun:


Oh, and is that the Bug she's using here?


So, who is she?!
Where does she come from? How does she fit in Dan/Ted/Jaime's history?

Is she related to DC's upcoming big epic summer storyline, Flashpoint?
What with all the alternate universe-altering time travel and stuff...

Or is she related to the on-going Black Beetle plot from Jaime/Blue Beetle back-up features & the Booster Gold series?

Black Beetle's real identity is still unknown but as been shown lying to be Hector, a "Joshua", Jaime from the future and more.
The Black Beetle has been shown trying to gather various colored Beetles across time and space, by travelling through time and altering events.

But why would a Red Beetle show up in the JSA title and never be mentioned in Booster Gold?
(good storytelling/planning stuff in advance?)

Anyway, I'm currently reading a book about some history of the Blue Beetles ("The Blue Beetle: Companion") and I had this on my mind today.

I hope we'll get some answers someday!
(rather than seeing this mysterious gal crimefighter disappear in the land of forgotten character, and never seeing her potential come to be)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I've never heard of the Red Beetle at all before. And it's really weird that DC would sneak her into an issue of JSA without much fanfare. Weird. I'm not a big fan of superhero "families," so I can't say that I'm excited, just intrigued. And her costume looks more villian-ish. She wasn't in any of the Jaime backups that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She just appeared from nowhere at the end of a JSA All-star issue...then popped up in another issue after that. Still no mention who or why she's a "Beetle". No connection to Jaime, Ted, Dan, the Black Beetle or Booster so far!

    I'm predicting a future Black Beetle plot or just "chronal anomalies" from the whole upcoming Flashpoint.

    'hope she wasn't a random new character and will simply go in limbo after that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, do not know where this Red Beetle thing is going, but Didio has stated very clearly that Ted Kord will not be back as long as he is EIC at DC. I can only hope that this new character is a step toward Ted's return, but more than likely it is another attempt to abrogate Ted's return; i.e. a female version of Ted is created to placate those who are so vociferous in their love of the Ted BB.

    Hey, I really hope you checked out "The Blue Beetle Companion" from a library. I was suckered into buying that "book" (actually a bound reprint of several magazine articles) and was very disappointed at its lack of information on Ted Kord. If you are interested in the Golden Age Blue Beetle (even though there is NOTHING in there about Sparky, the GA BB's sidekick) it's a perfunctory introduction. If you are interested in the Kord BB, try to pick up the Charlton issues of the magazine "Comic Book Artist." Excellent, in-depth articles on the Charlton "Action Heroes" including good old BB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I bought the BB Companion, very nice book^^
    I'm a big fan of all three incarnations of the Blue Beetle, I guess it's because how different and well representative of their different era they are.
    Dan Garret had some nice appearances (in flashbacks only) during Jaime Reyes on-going :)

    ReplyDelete