Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Comics NEWS! Marvel's Baby Toys Squad

Do you know the Marvel's Super Hero Squad?
Nope? It's that toys series they've been releasing since those past few years.
SuperDeformed chibi super heroes in cheap plasting with limited "action" parts.

I won't lie to you... For a long time, I really wanted to find the Ghost Rider/Punisher pack.

Yep. Those.
There's also Super Hero Squads not based on Marvel proprieties (like Transformers)
Well, did you know they already made a videogame out of this? Yeah, a simple cash-in commercial little game.
They're preparing a massive MMORPG based on that now.
(what is the target audience of such game? geeks? otakus? gamers? very young kids with access to an online computer to play a MMORPG with a monthly subscription???)
Anyway, did you know there was an animated cartoon based on these toys?


Toys and cartoons.
The two always went together. Be it GI Joe and Transformers evolving into those cult cartoons during the 80s (which I admit, never been really a fan of it...) or Batman The animated series and Spider-man The animated series producing tons of toys during and long after their run.

That's some pretty ugly...heroes... Look at Torch's head! Cap's face! Wolverine's look! Ugh..

So what my problem with this so called Super Squad?
They're so...evidently designed to be toys! They kinda ugly!

I know it's a show for kids but...can't they get something a bit better?
Something based on the excellent comic series Mini Marvels instead?! I would soooo follow that, record that and later buy that!
Or even the Marvel Babies or Marvel Apes, I dunno!

Anyway, if you wanna check it out, here's a clip:



Looks...not good.
I didn't try watching a whole episode...but..I'm sure I wouldn't be able to...
I'm all for light hearted fun, I love Batman: The Brave and The Bold for example!
And they're even so lazy that they must use that much CGi everywhere?!

Is this the way Jeph Loeb's gonna use Marvel Animations? Couldn't he help the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon get a new season instead??

3 comments:

  1. I would have prefered a Mini Marvels show!
    (one reason to keep buying (Red)Hulk books, there's new original Mini Marvels pages of it in every paperback at the end!)

    I dunno... looks...bland... It's based on toys, and it shows.

    I didn't knew about the Stan Lee-part! Might check more of it just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I get itr as a adult that this is not as cool or representive of classic marvel which I am a big fan of but for my 3 yo son it rocks! I could not show him the bigger kids versions but he loves the look of Spidey man and others. This is a awesome introduction and is light hearted for hiom to enjoy. He also has about 10 of the little figurines and some chibi star wars ones too, he loves them so much and so do his friends!

    SO take this for what it is a great introductory for little kids who want to be super hero's but are really not big enough for normal Spider man, Iron man or any of the others - as much as you say he could still watch them some parts do scare him and are too dark - you can not really expect a 3yo to understand, love, death and life in general which are normal themes in these cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True... to some extent. But I still find the design pretty lacking and it's not that much inspired..
    Plus being a kid doesn't mean not getting quality products!

    Animaniacs, while aiming for kids in the 90s, was still pretty well written and animated! Plus it had a whole different meaning for adults, having some content for them as well (references to Deliverance? in a kid show?! how crazy is that!)

    Though you're right about it being a nice introduction to the larger MArvel U for kids!

    (on the scary/dark parts I'd like to add I loved watching horror and slasher flicks as a kid around my ~5 years already... good times.. And I think I didn't turn that bad :P)

    ReplyDelete