Friday, December 6, 2013

TLC - My Top 12 Favorite Movies As Old As Me


Happy belated Birthday to myself! Hooray!

Here's a very subjective list of the best films from 1985 in my eyes.

TLC #05: My Top 11 Favorite Movies As Old As Me!

1985 was a great year. Not only did we get a couple all time cult classics but some great new installments from great movie directors.

Everybody likes to either make lists of all time classics dating from 1930s through the 1970s. Or current great films. I thought it would be fun to take a crack at such list only from another perspective.

Sure I wasn't born -yet- form most of these films, but they also are the same films I grew up with or to love over the years.

The 1980s are the era I grew up with and to love. Because I might have been a 90s kid, but back before the Internet (what's that?! there was a life before teh Interwebz!?) those are the first film experiences I had. Thanks to reruns on TV, I didn't get to theater before a while growing up, obviously, and like many others like me I grew up on classic 1980s films.

Here are some great films as old as I am.

Granted they're not all classics, but these are some great classics I recommend.

Here's my list:

#12 Better Off Dead by Savage Steve Holland, genre: teen comedy


A movie I discovered very late, to be honest.

Highly quotable and hilarious.

#11 Rocky IV by Sylvester Stallone, genre: sports drama


People either tend to love the coming-of-age story of the original or either the fantastic first two sequels.

But I always personally prefered Rocky 4, even though by then the series was getting a bit repetitive. Plus it's the movie that introduced the awesome  Ivan Drago to boot!

#10 Teen Wolf by Rod Daniel, genre: horror/comedy


Forget all the other "Teen Wolf" films and TV series we got over the years. This one had awesome 80s music. And Michael J. Fox! You can't have an awesome movie without those two.

#09 Rambo: First Blood Part II by George P. Cosmatos, genre: action/war movie


The 1980s were the era of unstoppable Stallone sequels. What '85 gave us was the awesome sequel to the genre defying original Rambo.

Were the original surprised us with a thriller tale, an anti-hero and US government/cops as the bad guys, Rambo II become a simple mindless fun action movie.

It was the original one-man-war movie, one single guy sent on enemy territory to put a stop to an entire army. The original ultimate badass.

#08 Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment by Jerry Paris, genre: comedy


There's probably been too many Police Academy sequels, but this one was the first one.

It was a great obvious follow-up, showing all the original graduates finally put their knowledge into practice, including all-new faces.

#07 A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge by Jack Sholder, genre: slasher


Already reviewed here.

This film didn't beat the original classic, by far, but it was a fun film that launched the Freddy series properly. The film manage to bring in some twists (such as: Is Freddy even real?) and expand on Robert Englund's iconic persona.

#06 Weird Science by John Hughes, genre: scifi/teen comedy


One of my all-time favs, both amongst my personal favorite teen comedies and favorite scifi films!

It's a John Hughes classic - one of his best works, along Ferris Bueller of course!

Kind of stupid when you get down to hit, and which probably launched several careers in computer no doubt! Who didn't dream of a "Lisa" of their own at some point?

#05 Transylvania 6-5000 by Rudy De Luca, genre: horror comedy 


A personally silly cult of mine.

The 80s gave us tons of great horror comedy films, and this one while not gory always manage to bring me a smile.

It also helps that Geena Davis is the cutest vampire ever on screen. And even Kramer aka Michael Richards' in it!

#04 Day of the Dead by George A. Romero, genre: horror film


Alright, so I already listed this one as one of my favorite movies of all time, so it's not a surprise to again find it here.

People tend to favor either the classic Night or Dawn of the Dead, but Day's always been my favorite. Great creepy movie, fantastic pacing, and timeless special effects. Plus it has Bub the zombie!

#03 The Return of the Living Dead by Dan O'Bannon, genre: horror comedy film


Speaking of charismatic memorable zombie figures, a very rare occurrence in these sort of films, Dan O'Bannon's The Return of the Living Dead is probably one of the best non-Romero films... even compared to Romero's own entries actually!

Not only doesn't it take too seriously, which is a welcome change in zombie films, but its great effects, gore and attention to the details also make it a much more well crafted loving tribute of the genre.

And the zombies can't be killed easily, for once! And talk! Braaaaaains... braaaaiiins...

#02 Re-Animator by Stuart Gordon, genre: horror comedy film


One of my all-time favorite horror comedy classics. Fresh off the Evil Dead phenomenon.

Creepy, funny, gory, shocking, hilarious.

Re-Animator is simply perfect!

#01 Back to the Future by Robert Zemeckis, genre: scifi/adventure comedy 


This one shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that either knows me or follow me.

It's simply my favorite film of all time (Citizen Kane ain't got a thing on you - though I do enjoy CK for its own different reasons). I said it once, I said it countless times.

And it came out the same year I was born in.

It just goes to show, movies don't need any specific formula, budget or modern production. Something things just click with the audience. With you. And your most cherished movie experience, your favorite movie doesn't need to be older or more recent. Sometimes it might just be as old as you are.


Anyways, that's it for "My Top 11 Favorite Movies As Old As Me!"

Of course it's a very personal list, and I believe most if not all lists are to some degree.

I'm not saying there are better films out there, it all depends on everyone tastes and what you look for in a film.

So now I ask you, what are some of your own favorite films "as old as you"? Write 'em down to me, I'll be glad to have a look!

You can find some of these movies and a lot more reviewed on this page.

Artwork © Eyz. Other materials © Respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment