Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Videopac collection!

In this post, I would like to introduce you guys and gals to a long forgotten system, and show you my gaming collection... My Videopac collection!
(as of today, August 1st 2010)

Dun dun duuuun~ What?! You don't know what this is?!


The Videopac, mostly known as the Magnavox Odyssey² everywhere was Magnavox (later part of Philips) entry in the gaming market.

It is a videogame system part of the second generation of gaming, as I like to call, the "first era of 8-bit" games.
The 8-bits are mostly remembered (sadly) now as the era of the NES, but there were simpler times before the NES/Master System/etc.. that came before. Where games were a lot simpler graphic-wise and gameplay-wise. They mostly relied on gamer's imagination back then.
That was the era of the Atari 2600/5200, the Intellivision, the ColecoVision, the Sega SG-1000 and the Odyssey² in question here!


Later in its lifecycle and mostly in Europe, the system was repackaged as the Philips Videopac.
I have, thanks to my father who kept his', a Videopac +, which was like the Megadrive 2 was to the Megadrive 1, an update.
It could run new updated versions of some games, displaying more colors and better graphics!

I had some games trhough my father, but bought a couple of other games here and there through the years.
There aren't a lot of them, around 70 or so~
A funny fact, they're numbered, which I kinda dig.

I already reviewed one for fun, an almost-Pacman-clone right here.

Let's have a look at the games I currently have:


The first bunch of games, A,1to10, are mostly experiments.
Many games in one, all using the same "engine".
It's the most gimmick-ysh ones of the Videopac library I think :P

10 to the 40s are the more fun to play. Real games.
Well, there's always some odd ones every now and then, like text-based games or some more computer simulation thingies. (45, later, really shows this trend)

And the later games are probably some of my favorites!
Killer Bees!!
Turtles!
Nightmare!!

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

I'll leave ya with these videos of some favorite of mines, but really, it's the kind of games you have to experience for yourself, with the classic 8-bit controller in hand, since a video without preliminary knowledge won't describe the feel you got playin' those~




(This one is so much fun to play, specially on 2 players!!)

I always have a look whenever I have a chance and find a new batch of games in some places. (and I fully accept donations, *wink wink nudge nudge*)

2 comments:

  1. Ancient and still works perfectly after all those years!

    My Dad kinda hate games and all that nowadays... kinda hypocrite since he was the one who bought this console and used to play a lot of it all the time... good times, good times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Nice collection!
    I am also videopac (odyssey) collector.

    Maybe we can change or trade some games.

    contact me per mail

    qwertzu@gmx.net

    many thanks.

    also visit

    www.konsole4us.jimdo.com/philips/spiele


    ReplyDelete