Wednesday, July 11, 2012

#Movies NEWS! A trailer for Dredd (2012)

Finally, a trailer is up for the Judge Dredd reboot, simply titled Dredd.


How does the movie look? Will it be closer to the original 2000AD comic book? Does the movie has the right tone? Does the movie has the right design? And finally, how does Karl Urban look like as this juge/jury/and executioner?

Check this out:



Oh.

I mean, it certainly looks sorta kinda decent.
But, pardon my words, a bit shitty too. Like the bare minimal effort was put into the picture.

I still say it doesn't hold a candle to the original Stallone classic.
Let's make a pros and cons list:
+ It looks more serious in tone, with a - I hope at least - more faithful Judge Dredd that doesn't take his element off all the time, the universe feels closer to its roots, the Dredd has a Judge partner, no comedic relief sidekick (aka the Rob Schneider-syndrom)
- looks like it barely has any budget, cheap plot (it's gonna take place in that poor badly lightened building all the feature?), awful looking effects/costumes, Urban doesn't look the part...at all!

And doesn't anything to less the worries I have regarding this one when Judge Dredd creator John Wagner says:
JW: My views haven’t changed, though apart from my initial viewing I haven’t seen the film since it came out. They told the wrong story — it didn’t have that much to do with Dredd the character as we know him. I don’t think Stallone was a bad Dredd, though it would have been better and lent him more cred if he hadn’t revealed his face. He was just Dredd in the wrong story. I envy their budget, though. Some of the CGI was very good, and the re-creations of the Angel Gang and the robot. The robot actually came from a Pat Mills story and didn’t belong in Dredd, but it looked good. If the plot had revolved around characters like them the film would have been more successful.
Even though he is pretty supportive and perfectly fine with the reboot in the rest of the interview, this makes me think the new movie has barely any budget, won't feature most of the creatures of the comics instead following its own approach AND that Karl Urban is badly cast for the role.
Why would he go on and on about Stallone being a better Dredd or being in the wrong movie?...

I'm not sure always calling these remakes/reboots/new adaptations darker in tone is a good sign of quality.
Anyway, this will be out by September 21st.

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I remember that I was so very excited for the Stallone JUDGE DREDD and then so very disappointed by it. It looked good, but the tone was just... wrong. (Dredd should be dark in tone! Mega-City One is a nightmare! When someone as hardcore as Judge Dredd is the hero, you're living in a MAD MAX world!) I want to be pumped for this new movie, but I'm not going to let Judge Dredd break my heart twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know some people are hyped for this one, but I wouldn't expect much from it...
      (specially with Dredd's creator talking about how big the budget was and great the FX were in the original... I'm fearing this new take is going to look pretty cheap like a direct-to-dvd...)

      Delete