Friday, January 29, 2016

#DCComics NEWS! Hanna-Barbera New 52'd

Being part of the larger Warner Bros. company, DC Comics has always produced various comics based on several Hanna-Barbera Productions proprieties. Such as The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Scooby-Doo Where Are You!

They announced a line of books rebooting various HB series for new generations.

So far these titles will include Scooby Apocalypse - a modern scifi take on Scooby-Doo, Wacky Raceland - a darker more mature iteration of the cheesy racing series, a pretty faithful comedy take on The Flintstones and Future Quest - a big epic crossover revolving around John Quest, Space Ghost, etc.

Here's the various covers they already released us:




Actually this whole thing sounds pretty bad to be honest. Loonatics I mean, Scooby-Doo.. sigh.. Wacky Race sounds really awful though...

But that Darwyn Cooke cover of Johnny Quest & co looks ambitious. And I'll be frank I'm already sold on Amanda Conner's take of The Flintstones! This seems as fun as the original live action film, I like a slightly more realistic take on them if the universe is kept the same. Dat Betty though...

Alright, I changed my mind. I'll check some of the non-Scooby-Doo books.

2 comments:

  1. Despite all the names involved (Keith Giffen on Scooby-Doo, Ken Pontac on Wacky Races, Amanda Conner) I think only Future Quest interests me the most out of the bunch.

    Maybe because it has the same creative team from the last Flash Gordon comic by Dynamite (Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner) and it looks like an actual thing that could happen in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. That, and the first thing I heard about this was seeing Shaner saying he's drawing Jonny Quest and Space Ghost, and that was a thing that clicked in my head as if to say "No, this is the perfect thing I never knew I wanted to see!" kinda thing. (His art style is very influenced by Alex Toth, f'sure) And Jeff Parker wrote Batman '66, so you know how he's gonna write it. That one I'm at least excited for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scooby one sounds like the worst one really...

      Delete