Friday, July 16, 2010

Predators - recap

You've seen me post a lot of coverage about this new Predator movie, like here, here, here, here, here and there.
And also lately a link to some early reactions, and even a review of both original Predator movies.

Now I've finally seen it.

What did I think?
(I'll try to be brief, since I suppose I will end up making a full review around the home release of this movie)


It was...pretty good!
Kickass sequel, finally the Predator franchise has another entry (and is one step behind Alien's).

The movie starts off pretty violently (in a big deus ex machina-like way). Then it follows pretty closely Predator 1's development. Mercenary group, jungle, suspense, character development...
We kinda grow to like the team, which isn't a team of good guys this time around (unlike Pred 1 & 2) but a big bunch of bastards. They kinda grow on you and are pretty fun (it's kinda sad to have each of them get killed each time).
Then, around the moment they found "a Predator camp" it all goes more scifi, goes a bit more nut and crazy... dog-monsters, traps, Laurence Fishburn livin' a crazy life, violence, blood and gore, duel mano-a-mano...and...weird depressing ending unresolved..?

It's a pretty nice movie, a big action flick like in the good ol' days. No need to know nor have seen both previous Predators (let's not mention AVP here please!).

There's some things I would definitely have used in other ways myself...
The Predators could have used some more gadgets/technology... It kinda seems like a step backwards (compared to Predator 2), the big mano-a-mano ending is pretty cool, I wouldn't expect less from a Predator movie (hey, it's not alien, we like big mano-a-mano endings in Predator flicks!) but...it looks a bit repetitive after a Predator duel earlier on...
Oh, and more scifi elements (out-of-this world strange hi-tech gear/or alien creatures) would have been nice too! There's a little hint of "other aliens" trapped in that planet...but not enough to my taste..

All in all it was a pretty fun movie! Go watch it!
I approve it as a scifi-fan, a horror-fan, a slasher-fan and a Predator-fan! :D
It brings back this franchise on track and makes great uses of practical effects, well done monster costumes and old school action!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked it^^
    I still prefer both previous Predator movies..but, hey, I prefer it over Alien 3 or 4!

    ReplyDelete