Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Comic NEWS! BAT-MEN! NananananaNa

Hey gang!

Did you catch what co-editor in chief Dan DiDio said recently?

“Just as readers were getting comfortable with the idea of former sidekick Dick Grayson playing the role of Batman, along comes Bruce Wayne’s triumphant return to the Cape and Cowl. Is Gotham City ready for two Batmen? Is the world? And who’s to say the fun will end there?”

 That's right! As soon as Bruce Wayne's back in the comics, he won't take the mantle of the Bat from former-Robin Dick Grayson, instead we'll have twice more Batman around!


Grant Morrisson, since he's been on the Bat-books, loves playing with the status quo and the very foundation of Batman as a character.
He's played with Bruce and gave him a son.
Broke down Bruce.
Killed Batman.
Had Bats reborn in Dick Grayson.
And now he's having Bruce explore different eras before bringing him back!!

Dick will be the Batman, alongside Damian Wayne as Robin, of the following books: DETECTIVE COMICS, BATMAN and BATMAN AND ROBIN.


I gotta admit, his take on Batman really grew up on me.
He's fun, more acrobatic and has that very unique pulp touch (in plots and enemies encountered).

Bruce will be back as Batman in a yellow-Bat-symbol-ysh suit.
He'll star in Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette’s BATMAN INC. and David Finch’s BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT.
Check out the new suit!


I gotta admit, I really like the direction this is all going in!
It's like they recycling an old Chuck Dixon idea from a couple years back. When Blue Beetle was supposed to turn his identity into a corporate franchise with many Beetles around the world... Tim Drake was already going into that direction, supposed to become a successor to Ted Kord's Blue Beetle in Dixon's run. (true! the clues are all in the books! BB is Tim's favorite super hero and model)

Great move from DC Comics. Having Dick back at Nightwing could seem...like a step backwards. Plus having more Batman around can totally work with Bruce's ultimate agenda, right?
There's already Knight & Squire inthe UK.
Will Tim go back to being Robin to Bruce's Batman since the other Batman & Robin, D&D (Dick & Damian) are already a duo?
Will Tim become another Batman, maybe in a reconstructed city of Blüdhaven? Or in NYC?

Anyway, here's a preview of the new Morrisson's book, Batman Inc.
In which Bruce Wayne will team up with a different Bat-character each time:


First issue, classic Bats and Catwoman!

This has brought to me some questions...
Will Catwoman stay and represent Batman Inc. in Italy? (since Tim Sale & Jeph Loeb made so many connections between Selina and the mob?)
Will there be 2 Batgirls? You know, Cassandra Cain & Stephanie Brown? (there was some rumours about Cassie's returns lately)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that's why I buy my US comics, I mean import them :P
    If I would read the french translations, I think I would be in the middle of RIP currently or something...

    But 3 comics in one is a pretty nice deal!
    Still I prefer reading TPB over single issues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Beetle is Tim's favorite hero? That makes me like Tim all the more!

    I was going to say how I didn't like the idea of more than one Batman, but you sound so happy and excited about it I didn't want to rain on your parade. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea!
    Dick as Batman really grew on me^^
    And having him go back to just plain classic Nightwing wouldn't seem like an evolution but more like a step backwards.. I mean he's got his own sidekick now, cars, secret lairs, new rogue gallery...

    And turning slowly Tim into Blue Beetle was part of a great sheme that Chuck Dixon was working on.
    The idea was to turn the "Blue Beetle" into a franchise with many BB around the world. Ted would be in charge "à la" Oracle. Tim who entered the superhero biz' because he was a fan of Ted, would eventually become a Blue Beetle too!
    The clues are all in Dixon's Robin!
    (posters of BB in Tim's room..)
    I guess DC didn't like the idea...at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have a coworker who is obsessed with Dick Grayson so I got turned off on him early on, plus he replaced Bruce and I was kinda bitter over that. I should learn to give characters a second chance.

    I haven't read much Robin yet so I didn't know about Dixon's plans but that would be kinda cool, as long as all the Blue Beetles were fun and lighthearted and that Ted got to do some adventuring, too. :). Plus that would mean both Ted and Jaime could both be around, and then maybe I could learn to like Jaime over time. I'm still mourning Ted so it's been hard to warm up to Jaime. I just wish beloved characters would stop getting killed off. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I've followed the new Batman & Robin books as well as the solo Dick/Batman books, I really love his new status quo!
    It works great!
    Like a fun take/pulp take on Batman!

    Try to check at least some early Robin books!
    (the more recent Fabian Nicieza take is pretty good too)

    We could have Ted and Jaime alongside!
    Specially since Ted never used the magic/alien scarab!

    ReplyDelete