Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Great News for Marvel Comics!

Goodbye Joe Q!~


This' just in!
(I almost wrote the post earlier...but what the heck..)
Axel Alonso has just been promoted Marvel's new Editor-in-Chief!

Alonso had previously been editor on DC Comics line Vertigo.
He's also one of the minds (and its principal force) behind the idea and in-print Marvel Max.

Joe Quesada will now be assigned to a similar post to Geoff Johns currently at DC, that is supervising the "Entertainment" division, the adaptations. And stuff.

Here's what Joe said: source Marvel dot com

"It’s with tremendous pride that I announce Axel Alonso’s promotion to Editor-In-Chief. For over a decade, Axel’s been instrumental in bringing fresh new voices to Marvel and reinventing our biggest characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Wolverine and so many more. He’s fought to create unique imprints like Marvel MAX while also bringing fresh new voices to the Marvel family."
And Axel's answer: source Marvel dot com

"Marvel has a great history of the most dynamic and memorable EiCs in comics history and I’m honored to step into this role," said Axel Alonso. "I’ve been blessed to work with some of the most creative men and women in the world, bringing to life some of the most compelling stories you’ll find in any medium. This new role provides me with exciting challenges and prospects I’ve never encountered before, but I know one thing—Marvel’s getting even bigger in 2011."

Finally!  Aleluia!!

I've never liked the fact that Joe Q's been over the reigns at Marvel for so long.
I mean, sure I love Joe's artwork skills and some of his writing..but overseeing a big company is a whole different story.
(let's not dig in Joe's really bad decisions, like making Spidey a whiney brat again, deals with the devil, Wolverine fighting an Angel to resurrect everytime, Lupines, etc..etc.. you might disagree in his implication in all of this...but the role of an EIC still is at the end of the day to decide and accept these sort of directions!)

Be it in my* Franco-Belgium comics companies (Dupuis, Dargaud, Lombard...) here in Europe or my US Comics (DC, Dark Horse...), I prefer my editors-in-chief to change every once in a while.
You know, to keep things fresh and fun. After a while, they sort of lose focus and their genuine love, interest & motivation for their proprieties, only think about money and start making bad moves and taking bad decisions...
*This is an affective "My" as in "things I grew up to like and care about.

Let's all wish Good luck to Axel Alonso, he will have his hands full with fans expectations and keeping the brand fun and alive!
Make Stan Lee proud!

Excelsior!!

No comments:

Post a Comment